Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One of Those Weeks....

It's just been one of those weeks for us....nothing seems to go right and everything that can, does go wrong....and the week is just beginning! As everyone knows, our economy is in a pretty rough spot and it seems like we can't turn on the tv or listen to the radio without reminders of how dire things are getting to be in places. Unfortunately for us, the recession has hit close to home. I have been a stay-at-home Mom for 4 years now and have loved every minute of it. Okay, loved might not be the entire truth but it has definitely been worth it for sure! My wonderful husband has dutifully been at work every morning at 6 am to support his family and he's done a fine job of it too! Money is tight at times and we don't get to go on fancy vacations or even go out to eat except for those special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries, but we've made ends meet week after week, month after month and year after year. Well, it seems that times are about to get even harder around here. Donovan's company has decided to layoff half of their employees...it's a small company of about 40 employees total so half of their workstaff is a significant amount. They are trying to prolong the inevitable for everyone by first cutting hours. That's rough but not as rough as completely losing a job. Now his crazy boss (and I literally mean that man IS crazy) is entertaining the idea of keeping 12 of his full-time staff and working them on a rotating schedule every 3 months!! WTH!! I've never heard of anything like that before...."you, you, and you are going to work full time for 3 months and then be off work for 3 months"......how in the heck do they expect people to support their families for the 3 months they're not working?? Unemployment is available but you definitely don't make enough off it to pay all your bills and put food on the table and gas in the car. So, it seems that my time at home may unfortunately be coming to an end. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Keep your fingers crossed for me and say a little prayer that things will turn out okay...we're pretty freaked out about this right now and the thought of leaving my babies to go to work again just makes me want to bawl!
Then there is the ice storm moving through the area. All I can think is "oh no, not again"! The last few years have all been marked by storms that have moved through and taken out our power....for days and days at a time. Luckily we NOW have a generator but I'm hoping and hoping we don't have to use it. Last time this happened we were without power for 8 long days and I'm not sure I'm prepared to do it again with an infant. I'm hoping and praying not only for us, but for all of our friends and families that they stay safe and warm during this time as roads and power poles get slicker and icier. For now we're good...just enjoying a "no school" day and keeping each other entertained.
Okay, now that I've vented and griped I'm going to go play some Wii with my boys...I never can beat them in the MarioKart but it is a really fun game! Wish me luck...nothing worse than being beat repeatedly by a 4 year old who is many years from driving! lol Hope everyone stays warm and cozy, jobs in place, and all with the lights on!

1 comments:

Mandy said...

I am sorry to hear about all of this, and we will keep you in are prayers! Stay warm.