Sunday, August 9, 2009

One Busy Week!!

The end to one very busy week has finally come to a close. I was asked by a good friend from high school to make a birthday cake for her son's 5th birthday. I was excited.....yay another customer!! After I agreed to create these 2 cakes for her, I realized that we would also be celebrating Trevor's birthday on the very same weekend. Oh boy, was it tiring to get all those cakes done! I started on Thursday and was finally done about 30 minutes prior to the start of Trev's party. My very crabby baby boy wasn't helping me out much and the humidity was my worst enemy. Making cakes in 80%humidity just doesn't work out good. But after spending one night burning the midnight oil, I did get it all completed. Not too bad for my first attempt at a Yoda cake. I found a picture on the internet and just went for it. There are things that I would have done differently, done more of, ect....but in the end seeing that little boys face light up was worth all those long hours. Now, on to Trevor's birthday. He won't actually be 5 until the 11th but we went ahead and had his party since the weekend was here and everyone was off work. It was Thursday of this last week before he finally told me what kind of cake he wanted me to make him. His reply...a striped dragon/dinosaur (he couldn't quite make up his mind). So we compromised......he got the stripes but it's still a debate as to whether it's a dragon or a dinosaur. He loved it!!! He still loves it so much i have to keep chasing him out of the kitchen...little stinker keeps sneaking in for finger fulls of icing and cake! Here are some pics of my creations from this past week.....keep posted for pics on Tuesday of my big 5 year old!
Here is Yoda's body before I attached the head and the rest of him...it was made up of 7 cakes and stood about 1.5 ft tall!
This is what happens when you leave the baker up all night long with nothing but coffee to drink and this rice krispie head to talk to :-o I think it was about 3 or 4am at this point and the head came last.....

Time for cake it is!!!
Yoda all ready for the party
Yoda and the sheet cake I made for the party
Trevor's dragon/dinosaur cake...

He kept saying the candles were fire spikes!
He got them all in one big puff!

2 comments:

Nan said...

The cakes were awsome....you have done such a great job. I don't think there is anything you can't tackle....Love ya

Momofmany said...

Wonderful job!! I fwded them to some family and friends to hope and send you MORE business :)