Sunday, March 8, 2009

Who needs Air guitar when you can eat it!

This past weekend, I was given the opportunity to expand my cake decorating "skills". We celebrated birthdays for our nephew Levi and his Daddy, Brian. Levi turned the big 21 this year, we'll just say that Brian is also still in his 20's...(I don't want to get on Uncle B's bad side by giving the true number here)lol Since Levi has recently started learning how to play guitar it was only fitting when Alice asked me to try making him a guitar cake for his birthday. Since I'm all about some cake decorating, I jumped on the chance to create him a guitar cake. Now, I HAVE to give some credit to my wonderful hubby. Without his artistic abilities (I am all thumbs when it comes to drawing something) I wouldn't have been able to pull this off. I put him to work with some paper and pencil and had him draw me a guitar body and headstock patterns. He also was nice enough to actually cut the design out of the two 13x9 cakes that I had baked for it. I was perfectly capable of cutting the cakes out but he really wanted to have a hand in helping since it was for Levi. I think we did pretty good for our first attempt too! We had a great time at Alice's on Sunday and enjoyed getting to spend the day with our family. I think Levi really liked his cake, and I sure hope so as it was alot of work, but it was well worth it! Here are some pictures of my latest creation and of our time at Alice's. Hope everyone has a great week!


Stage 1--Didn't Donovan do a good job cutting it all out?
Stage 2: Okay...now it was time for me to take over....looks kinda like a guitar...
Tadaaa!!! My finished project...not too bad for the first time!
I'm pretty proud of this cake...it was by far the biggest and most difficult that I've tackled to date.
Doesn't he look thrilled?? He really did like it but doesn't like to have his picture taken.
The race is on...who can light candles quicker....Nanny on Uncle Brian's cake...or Alice with Levi's?? Can you guess which one has more candles on it?? lol
wow! she's pretty quick at this!
Uh oh...looks like Alice was trailing...Nan had to come over and lend a hand as Levi patiently looks on.....
yay! All lit....now time to make a wish!
WEll, Uncle Brian might be older but he's still quicker at blowing out his candles than the young whippersnapper here! lol *notice the haze in the air from all those candles...lucky we didn't set off the smoke alarm!

***If anyone ever needs a cake for your special occasion, let me know! I love to create cakes and am always up for a new challenge!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, you did a great job!!! We loved it.. and you too!!! Guess you are totally on the hook from now on..... by the way, nice blog today!

Auntie

Becky said...

Impressive cake - very artistic, both you and Donovan.

Anonymous said...

Well maybe I can leave comments now....We love you and all the things you do for this family....you are and always will be my FAVORITE Daughter-in-law....Nan